26 Feb Common Knee Injuries – Treating Injuries With a Knee Doctor
There are many different things that can cause injuries, and nowhere is this more true than in the knee. As any knee doctor Chicago knows, the knee is one of the most important joints in the body, and because of this, it’s also one of the most frequently injured.
The knee bears the full brunt of your weight whenever you walk, ju
mp, lift, or engage in any activity that requires movement. As such, the knees are highly prone to injury — especially if you’re not moving ergonomically.
Understanding these different injuries as well as their potential treatments can help you prepare for returning to your optimum level of health.
Common Types of Knee Injury
Knee pain is a common complaint among people of all ages. Knee pain can occur as the result of natural wear and tear in the body. It can also be the result of an acute injury. In either case, the discomfort can impair your ability to move and decrease the quality of your life.
These are some of the most common types of knee injuries.
- ACL tears. Your anterior cruciate ligament, known as your ACL, is one of the ligaments that connect your shinbone to your thigh bone. This ligament runs through your knee and can easily be injured, especially by those who play high-intensity sports that require lots of running or jumping.
- Fractures are another common issue that can affect the knee. A fracture is a minor break or cracks in the bone. People who struggle with arthritis or osteoporosis may be more likely to develop a fracture.
- Torn meniscus. The meniscus is a term used to describe the cartilage that helps to absorb shock in your knees. When the meniscus tears, you will experience pain and an impaired range of motion.
- Knee bursitis occurs when the small, fluid-filled sacs in your knee joint become inflamed.
Treatments for Knee Injuries
Since there are so many different types of knee injuries, you can imagine that there are just as many different types of treatments. Here are some of the most common treatments used to help people who have sustained an injury in the knee.
- Physical therapy. Physical therapy is often the most important and certainly the most commonplace treatment for people who have sustained physical injuries. During your physical therapy, you will practice a number of exercises that will help you regain movement in your knee.
- Surgery. The majority of knee injuries are not serious enough to require surgery. However, in certain cases, your knee doctor Chicago may recommend that you get surgery.
- Practice preventative measures. One of the best ways to manage any injury is to avoid getting it in the first place. Taking preventative measures, such as exercising regularly and making sure to wear snug-fitting shoes, can help reduce the chances of developing further injuries. These measures can also make it easier to move around while you’re recovering from your injury.
There are many different reasons that you could injure your knee. Fortunately, you won’t have a hard time finding a knee doctor Chicago. Reach out to a professional to learn how you can treat your injury.