A comprehensive history and complete physical exam are important to identify and treat the source of hip pain.
Select Causes of Hip Pain
Hip pain is one of the most common reasons to see a doctor. Although disk herniations and pinched nerves may cause referred pain into the hip, there are other causes of hip pain originating from the hip itself. Pressure over the greater trochanter (side of hip area) may cause a bursitis (inflammation of a fluid sac). Arthritis in the hip joint and tendinitis due to overused and strained muscles are additional causes of hip pain.
Several Treatment Options for Hip Pain
Hip pain may be treated with:
- Site Specific Steroid Injections – The Illinois Pain physician may inject an anti-inflammatory steroid agent to alleviate your hip pain at the source.
- Physical therapy – Strengthening and mobility exercises can alleviate hip pain by improving flexibility and muscle function.
- Medications – Medication may be appropriate in treating the source of your hip pain. Prescribed agents include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, analgesics, anticonvulsants, and antidepressants which reduce nerve irritation.
- Stem Cell Therapy – Hip and joint pain is one of the leading indications for stem cell therapy. Call us now for more information regarding stem cell therapy for hip pain.
- Platelet Rich Plasma – Patients have found good relief from platelet rich plasma for hip pain. The physician at Illinois Pain Institute may consider PRP for your hip pain.