07 Nov How May Neuromodulation Therapy Help Chronic Pain?
Do you suffer from chronic pain? If so, you are not alone. According to the National Institutes of Health, millions worldwide struggle daily with chronic pain. Many of them turn to medication in an attempt to find relief, but sometimes that is not enough.
Expert pain management specialists offer techniques like neurostimulation to help patients find pain relief. Pain management is a crucial branch of medicine that uses an interdisciplinary approach for the relief of pain and improvement in the quality of life of pain patients.
Read more: The Importance of Pain Management Specialists.
So, what is neurostimulation? What is neurostimulation? Neurostimulation is a treatment that uses electrical stimulation to help control pain signals in the brain. It is a safe and effective medical treatment that is helpful for many people who suffer from chronic pain.
Read on to understand more about neurostimulation and how it can help you find relief from chronic pain.
What Is Neurostimulation?
Chronic pain like that caused by arthritis, migraines, and fibromyalgia can be debilitating. It can make it hard to focus at work, get a good night’s sleep, or enjoy time with family and friends. Neurostimulation is a treatment that delivers low levels of electrical stimulation to the nervous system to help relieve chronic pain.
Here’s how it works:
The electrical stimulation interrupts the pain signals that are being sent to the brain. It also helps to release chemicals like endorphins and serotonin, which can help to improve mood and relieve pain. Endorphins are sometimes called “natural painkillers” because they can help to block pain signals from reaching the brain.
Serotonin is a chemical that regulates mood, and low levels have been linked to increased pain perception. By increasing serotonin levels, neurostimulation can help to improve mood and reduce pain perception.
One procedure used in neurostimulation includes a Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS). This device is surgically implanted under the skin and delivers electrical stimulation to the spinal cord. This can help to relieve pain in the lower back, legs, and arms.
Benefits of Choosing Neurostimulation
1) Drug-free pain relief: Neuromodulation interrupts pain signals from the nervous system, providing drug-free pain relief.
2) Improved quality of life: This treatment uses your body’s natural pain-blocking mechanisms to provide long-term pain relief, so you can get back to enjoying your life.
3) Customizable: Your doctor can tailor the treatment to your specific needs and adjust it as your condition changes. For example, if you suffer from chronic pain and migraines, your doctor can use neurostimulation to target both conditions.
4) Non-invasive: Neurostimulation is a non-invasive treatment option that does not require surgery or implantation of devices.
5) Safe and effective: This treatment has been used for multiple years to treat various conditions and has been proven safe and effective. It will increase the ability to sit, stand, and walk without pain.
If you are living with chronic pain, you know how debilitating it can be. It can make even the simplest tasks feel impossible. Call Illinois Pain and Spine Institute in Chicago for pain management. We offer a variety of pain management therapies, including neurostimulation.