15 Dec 7 Ways to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
You wake up in the morning with a stiff neck. You can’t turn your head to either side, and you’re unable to look down without pain shooting through your skull. What do you do? There are natural remedies that are available to help relieve the pressure on your spine. Here are 7 ways you can get rid of a stiff neck without seeing a doctor!
- Massage the area. Gently massage the muscles in your neck and shoulders. This will help to loosen them up and relieve some of the tension.
- Apply heat or ice. If you have a stiff neck, it’s likely that you also have inflammation. Applying heat or ice can help to reduce inflammation and get rid of a stiff neck.
- Stretch your neck muscles. There are specific stretches that you can do to target the muscles in your neck that are causing you problems. Try these out and see if they help to loosen things up a bit.
- Take over-the-counter medications. If your stiff neck is caused by muscle strain, then taking over-the-counter ibuprofen acetaminophen can help to reduce the swelling and relieve the pressure on your spine.
- Take a hot shower or bath. Any sort of heat therapy is always good for how to get rid of stiff necks. The steam from the shower will loosen up some of those tight muscles, helping to provide you with relief!
- Drink plenty of water. Stiff neck pain can be caused by many things, including dehydration. Drinking more water throughout the day provides hydration which helps keep your body healthy and reduces stiffness in your joints as it does in other areas such as the hands and feet.
- Eat foods rich in omega-three fatty acids. Omega-three fats help to reduce inflammation and alleviate some of the pain associated with stiff necks, especially when combined with massage and heat therapy. Try snacking on walnuts or salmon for a dose!
Did any of these remedies help get rid of your stiff neck? If not, it might be time to see a doctor! They can help you determine the cause of the problem and provide relief. Neck pain is no joke, so don’t suffer in silence! Don’t let this pesky ailment keep you from living your life; turn to the Illinois Pain and Spine Institute for more assistance with neck pain relief in Chicago.
Are you dealing with neck pain after an accident? Check out What Is Whiplash and What Can I Do to Relieve My Pain?