21 Apr Constant Pain from Headaches?
Here Are Some Helpful Tips to Prevent Headaches
Did you know that the head is one of the most common pain centers in the human body and that one of the most common pain conditions in the world occurs here as well? That would be a headache. Almost 90% of all Americans suffer from some form of a headache disorder. That means over 10 million doctor’s visits alone are due to headaches. Talk about a huge number!
Let’s face it though, at one time or another, we’ve all suffered from the pain and discomfort of a headache. They have been known to cause people to miss time at work, lose sleep, and prevent us from relaxing. A headache is pain anywhere in the region of the head or neck. It can be a symptom of a number of different conditions of the head and neck that can result in a headache. This common condition can cause a person to feel a dull ache, sharp throbbing, constant, mild or even intense pain.
There are several areas of the head and neck that have pain-sensitive structures, which are the cranium, muscles, nerves, arteries and veins, subcutaneous tissues, eyes, ears, sinuses and mucous membranes. There are many types of headaches, and the causes range from harmless to life-threatening. The description of the headache, together with findings on physical examination, determine the need for any further investigations and the most appropriate treatment for you.
Some common triggers for headaches are stress, drinking alcohol, irregular sleeping habits, smoking, straining your eyes, and more. But here are some easy techniques that will help you avoid many common headache triggers:
- Manage Stress – Stress can build up and cause your head to pound. Find something that will help you relax and become stress free.
- Movement – Maintain good posture and move around during the day.
- Sleep – Get the appropriate amount of sleep. It is recommended that people get a steady 8 hours of sleep. Too little or too much sleep can cause headaches.
- Be Healthy – Staying on a healthy diet and keeping up with an exercise regime is a great way to avoid constant headaches. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, as dehydration can lead to a headache.
- Keep a Diary – Keeping track as to when you have a headache is a good way to see what the potential triggers of the pain are and what you can do to possibly prevent it again.
If you are experiencing constant pain from headaches, schedule a visit with us at the Illinois Pain Institute. Let a professional help you feel better! Call us today at 1 (800) 340-7246 or schedule you appointment!